President Donald Trump has been on a mission to roll back environmental protections, including the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards that limit the amount of pollution emitted by coal-fired plants.
However, rollbacks like this one must go through a public comment period. This week, leave a public comment expressing your support for the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards, and asking the EPA not to roll them back.
The most effective comments are personal and unique. Here are some talking points from the Environmental Defense Fund to consider including:
– The Mercury and Air Toxics Standards have lowered mercury pollution by 86%
– The Mercury and Air Toxics Standards have reduced acid gas by 96%
– The monetized benefits of these rules are as much as $90 billion per year
– These rules prevent an estimated 11,000 premature deaths per year
– The Mercury and Air Toxics Standards prevent up to 130,000 asthma attacks in children per year
There are two ways to submit your comment. One way is to send an email to a-and-r-Docket@epa.gov and include “Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2018-0794” in the subject line of the message, and be sure to include your name and address in the body of the email. The other way is by following the button below to regulations.gov.
The deadline to submit your comment is Wednesday, April 17.